Sunday, August 13, 2017

With Regards To My DXING Mentor ...Part I

Tapan Kumar Pathak,a class-mate of mine.. the person who brought me to active radio listening habit ..i.e. to correspond with radio stations about their program contents plus sending reception reports etc...for their QSL response after a long period of passive radio listening of me perhaps to March 1997..He used to inform me from time to time whenever we met about DXING..his latest QSL Cards etc...also about frequencies of broadcasts of Radio Australia's cricket commentary....etc...I always regard him a DXER in the true sense of the term...with a old Philips Receiver of his father with a long copper wire as external antenna he logged many exotic & rare radio stations...despite many personal problems..he managed to carry on his DXING ...but after getting his job & resultant workload with it   & family burden prevented him to carry on DXING....I requested him several times to be come active in DXING & Radio Listening...but I couldn't bring back him to DXING...And he never cared for any prizes and publicity as such and rarely participated in various quiz contests...
All he wanted to log new radio stations from overseas...and many sad story...many of his QSL Cards packets went missing in the post..that's another chapter....many DXERs/radio listeners in India including me had many such experiences....very very sad ...disappointing ..depressing.....
Now whenever you meet ..DXING is a topic of discussion ...what happening in the world of international broadcasting....latest developments...and its very sad to report him about closing down of radio stations on shortwave ........but surely this is happening..for whatever the season.....
A few years back, I scanned all his QSL Cards & his radio cards plus blank QSLs received by him.And a few of his QSL Cards were rare and exotic to me...I will share pixs of his QSL Cards in my page from time to time.....Here is the one he received from then Radio Veritas Asia..for their Urdu & Bengali Transmissions ...(both front side & back side)

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY....






More such posts soon.

73 & 55
Gautam Kumar Sharma(GK)
Abhayapuri(Assam)(India)

No comments: